DIY Hamster House
Hey Pet Parents and Hamster Lovers. Do you want to build a great hamster house for your hammy, but you do not have the DIY skills to do it? Well, you will not have to worry about it. It is pretty simple to build a hamster house as it only requires a few supplies and a little bit of your time. All you need is a large plastic storage bin with a lid. Yes, it is a great idea, especially if you do not ever want to let your hamster friend out of your sight.
In this article, you will learn how to build a hamster house for your pet.
What do you need?
- Large and transparent storage bin (12 to 15 gallons)
- Wire mesh
- Water bottle
- Utility knife
- Duct tape
- Pen marker
Step-by-Step Procedures to Make a DIY Hamster House
- Place the lid of the bin in front of you. This is the process where you will cut the lid to make windows.
- Flip the bin, so the lid’s bottom is facing you.
- Use the pen marker to measure the windows and leave about two inches of room on all sides. This room will be used to attach the wire mesh for ventilation. The width of the middle strip should be around 3 to 4 inches.
- Once you have marked the lid with its correct measurements, Get your sharpened utility knife and being cutting the lid.
- Remember the room you left in the lid? Drill the holes with 3 inches gap in between them. Later you will attach the wire mesh into these holes.
- Now, cut the wire mesh to fit into the windows. You will make two batches of these since you are making a homemade hamster house with dual windows.
- Once you have completed cutting the wire mesh, make sure that the mesh fits well into the windows, then you can cover the sharp edges with duct tape. This is necessary to protect your hamster from getting scratched or wounded.
- Place the wire mesh on top of the back of the lid. Secure the mesh by sewing the wire through the hole and then through the mesh. Repeat until you have sewn all the hole and the mesh.
Now you have completed the window of your hamster’s new house!
Setting-up the hamster’s house
- Clean the inside of the bin with water and proper cleaning material.
- Place a 2-inch layer of bedding at the bottom of the house — examples of beddings for hamsters aspen shavings and cellulose fibre.
- Get a hamster house accessories like a wheel, pet chews, a ball, or a tunnel. You can find different kinds of accessories in the market that can make your pet hamster happy inside its new home.
- Then get a clean water bottle and attach the bottle in one corner.
- Keep your homemade hamster house clean by changing the beddings once a week.
We hope we could help you provide your hammy with a well-sized home.
You may check some great examples of hamster houses that other hammy enthusiasts have designed: